Your College Students Need a Health Care Power of Attorney!

With our college students returning soon for the Thanksgiving holidays, now may be a good time to have them sign a Health Care Power of Attorney.

If  your child is over 18, and especially when they are away at school, you need to be sure that your child has in place a Health Care Power of Attorney.  Once your child turns 18 they are considered to be an adult and due to the HIPAA privacy laws, you will likely encounter difficulty getting medical information about them when it is most needed. Imagine your frustration when you call the school nurse or emergency room to inquire about a child’s illness and are told that they cannot share information with you without violating privacy laws.  The Health Care Power of Attorney can be done quickly and simply and is an inexpensive document that is invaluable for your family.

While many colleges have forms for the student to sign to give their parents access to medical information, chances are that the form is good only with respect to health care or medical issues taken care of on campus.  Once at an off-campus doctor’s office, or at an emergency room, these forms may not be accepted.  A Health Care Advance Directive can easily be faxed to the doctor or hospital to enable you to speak with medical staff, get medical information and help make decisions for your child.

Contact GWEBLAW today to come in and have this document drafted for the young adults in your household.

By | 2016-12-13T09:14:57+00:00 November 11th, 2013|Featured Articles, Top Legal Tips|0 Comments